Monday, December 27, 2010

My Best Christmas Gifts


I remember that advertisement where the song slows down to a drone as if the cassette player was losing power. That’s exactly how I felt the last few days before Christmas – “Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la…la…la….la…..la……la” with the last few “las” sung in the Bass 2 range before fade out.

It wasn’t a jolly time at all with my fever, clogged nose and a cough that rivaled our neighbor’s yapping dog. I only felt fit enough to go shopping for my family’s Christmas gifts on the morning of the 24th. I thank God for the hypermart right outside our village gates. They had everything in my list. It also helped that I already knew what my family wanted or needed. Come Christmas Eve, they were pretty happy with what they got.

As for me, in spite of feeling awful because I was sick, it was a happy and blessed Christmas. I got the nicest gifts from my sons.

A few months ago, I had the same illness and I felt miserable. Not only was I sick, I couldn’t be sick. We had no house help so I was cooking and cleaning through my illness. My elder son was down in the dumps – he had a little of the bug I had plus he had no job. Sick and sad, he only managed to buy me my medicine. The younger one was struggling through his thesis. No help there either.

This time, my elder son was solicitous. He made me lie down when he found out I had fever. He brought me dinner and my medicine. Also set his phone alarm for the time I had to drink medicine again. Such bliss to be cared for when one is sick. TLC was my best Christmas gift number one.

Because he is now employed, he had gifts for the whole family. A shirt for his younger brother, a cap for Papa and a cookbook for Mama. And I got what I had been longing for – a Harry Potter CD (yes, my taste is juvenile). My collection is almost complete. Best Christmas gift number two.

My younger son didn’t have a material gift for us but what we got from him was thrilling and heartwarming. His award-winning thesis was shown on Knowledge Channel on Christmas day. The whole family was so proud to actually watch his work on TV. When the credits were rolling at the end, we got our Christmas gift from him. It said SPECIAL THANKS TO: me, his brother and my parents.

He is not an expressive person. You can only guess at what he feels. But that acknowledgment expressed the love that he doesn’t say out loud. It was my best Christmas gift number three.

I praise God for the paradox of Christmas. We celebrate our Lord’s birthday and yet He is the one who showers us with such wonderful gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment