Monday, December 20, 2010

Black Sock, White Sock: A Family Christmas Guide


Picture a black sock and a white sock. This is my new Christmas icon. A reminder of what a family Christmas should be all about. I’m not talking about the socks that you hang on the wall for Santa to fill with Christmas treats. This was a totally mismatched pair that my son wore to mass last night.
I had come from an exhausting day of serving in my community. It was at the end of a totally tiring two weeks of frenzied activity. Interview for an article, beat writing deadlines, put together a bulletin, practice with the choir, multi-task for a concert (emcee, usher/bouncer, waitress), co-direct an energetic presentation and dance as well, co-lead the worship for our Christmas party. Sandwich into that: wrap my son’s and father’s gifts for their colleagues, cook some meals and do what little household chores I could manage. I was actually huffing and puffing while changing my sons’ bed linens when he walked in to show me his socks.
I haven’t had time to keep the newly laundered clothes and he didn’t know where to find them. So he went to church with one black sock and one white sock. Seeing his mismatched pair made me realize that I had spent too much time on work and community service. It’s a few days before Christmas and I’m not ready. I haven’t bought a single gift for my family. I haven’t attended a single Misa de Gallo. My family and my Lord, whose birth is about to be celebrated have been sidelined.
The image of my son’s mismatched socks made me stop and think. How can a family spend a meaningful Christmas in the midst of all the frenzy?

Put Christ in the center of your celebration and preparation
We know that Jesus’ birth is what it’s all about but every year the story repeats itself. We spend all our non-work time buying gifts, preparing for parties, practicing for presentations and a thousand and one other things we “must” do. Oh, a lot do make it to the dawn masses but do they really all go for the right reason. Young people go to see and be seen by their crushes, spend time with friends and significant others. Older ones aim to finish the nine days to get wishes granted. I hope many go the dawn masses as a sacrifice for the One who sacrificed His life, as a purification of their souls before the big day arrives. As for the gifts we give, let us focus more on giving gifts of love and kindness more than the material things we buy. .

Set aside family time
I have very close friends, a couple who belong to my community that I look up to because of the time they give to their family. At the end of each year, they set aside about three days for a family retreat. They go out of town to be far away from all the distractions. It may be to a faraway place or just someplace near like Tagaytay. But wherever it is, that time is sacred. No one can make them postpone, re-schedule and definitely not cancel their plans. Their celebration of Christmas is made more special because of this family time.

Watch your health
As I write this I’m running a 38.2 ° fever. All those late night practices (dance and choir) for the Christmas party have taken its toll. I have not been able to squeeze in time to go to the gym. All those dance moves did make me lose a few pounds but it also lowered my resistance. It’s important to maintain your health this season not just for yourself but for your family. Time spent recuperating is also time away from family activities.

Shepherd your finances
‘Tis the season for bonuses. We can get giddy with the extra cash and splurge on gifts and things we’ve been longing to buy for ourselves. But as a family person, it’s important to be very conscious about expenses. You may spend a joyful Christmas with all the material things but come bills payment time run short on funds for the important things – tuition, utilities, other basic necessities for instance. I know a couple who had a big fight after Christmas because the wife did not set aside money to pay their loans. Keep peace in the family by keeping a budget. And don’t forget that part of shepherding your resources is giving back a portion of your bounty to the Lord.

It’s about time
What this all boils down to is priorities. It’s about allocating time for the more important things this season – the Lord and your family. For years I have been planning to do my Christmas shopping in September. Come crush time, I would have the gifts out of the way and concentrate on the more important things. But that’s easier said than done unless I really put my mind to it. Next year, I vow to have a big red mark on Sept. 1 saying: “It’s now or never.” I will also put another mark on Feb. 1 that says: “Saving for Christmas gifts starts now.” Why February? Because with my messed up schedule this year, I’ll probably still be buying Christmas gifts in January.

A Blessed Christmas everyone! I’m off to salvage the rest of the Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment