Friday, April 30, 2010

My Graduation Dress

At my elder son’s grade school graduation, the mother of the valedictorian went onstage in a low back dress. I kidded my 2 boys, “Make sure you’re in the top ten when you graduate from high school and college. I’ll wear a backless dress lower than that.”

Even if they were always (more or less) in the honor roll in high school, they both shaved off a few points to avoid landing in the magic circle. I somehow think that was deliberate on their part to prevent their embarrassment.

Last week was graduation season for us again. One of my dreams was fulfilled – to have a college graduate son! One down, one more to go. I felt like I graduated, too. His diploma was my diploma. I guess all parents feel that way. It is quite an achievement to be able to nurture a child from birth to that point when he walks up on stage to get that precious piece of paper. It was a fleeting moment. I even complained to him that he walked too fast for me to get a good picture with my low tech camera from where I sat. Praise God for the official photographers. They descended like vultures when we got out of the car to pin their marker on my son but they were useful. That moment will be recorded for posterity.

For this single mom, his college graduation is a double achievement. He was three when my husband died. In this day and age, to raise a son who is drug-free, who loves and serves the Lord and who graduates with a 1.74 GWA from the University of the Philippines is a gold medal.

I honor my son who survived the hassles of living away from home. Who chose to continue serving with the Youth for Christ instead of joining some fraternity. Who kept away from bad habits and bad influences that could have messed up our lives.

I thank God for the people who blessed us with their generosity. My parents, my aunt, my in-laws. I thank God for my friends in my LOJ community whose prayers were ever ready at the hint of the slightest problem.

I still haven’t gotten to wear that backless dress. Even if his grade was cum laude level, he didn’t get the honor because of his underload in the first sem. Oh well, there’s still my younger son’s graduation. There is hope for that backless dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment