Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Prayer for a Balanced Life


To my family and friends and to all those who are blessed by this blog even in a small way: A Grace-filled and Prosperous New Year! Thank you for sparing time to read my thoughts and reflections about the crazy, wonderful, sometimes frustrating, oftentimes enlightening events in my life.

Here I am at the start of the year feeling like I have two pairs of eyes. One pair at the back of my head looking back to the year that was. With gratefulness I see the Lord’s abundant blessings to me, my family and my Feast family.

He has given us good health and provisions. He even gifted us last year with special treats. My elder son landed in the top ten in his licensure exam. My younger son got a new job just as the year was about to close. And I began writing for a magazine that recently won a Catholic Mass Media Award. (Yey for Kerygma! I have a reflection about that just bursting to be written.)

And the other pair is where they normally are gazing ahead to the coming year with hope that more dreams will come true. They are also looking at ways to apply the lessons learned in the past year.

One challenge that I grappled with last year was how to cram everything into a 24 hour day. I wish there was a 48 hour version of those days. It seemed like many things on my to-do list were all needed yesterday.

Often, time for my family and my health regimen were sacrificed. Even work schedules were sometimes shredded to itsy-bitsy pieces. So this year I’m praying for a balanced life so that each area will get equal or equitable attention.

If you feel that your timetable is as chaotic as mine, pray this with me:

When my schedule gets roiled in a turbulent sea,
I must stay afloat to get where I want to be.

Help me Lord to keep my life on an even keel.
All areas steered by your steady hand on the wheel.

My family I put at the top of my list.
When more pressing things beckon help me to resist.

My body is your temple, a gift you have knit.
Grant me a firmer resolve to keep myself fit.

My work is your way to shower me with treasures.
Keep me diligent and far from useless pleasures.

My service is how I bring others to know you.
Give me a loving heart for this task to pursue.

Throw in friends and some hobbies to this scale I must balance.
Now you see why I need you Lord to give me your guidance.
I pray that you’ll help me end this year with joy and success
‘Cause I breezed through my myriad of roles with minimal stress.

1 comment: