Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lucky Me


“Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you.” – John 6:27

Walang suwerte (unlucky)”. This was a balikbayan uncle’s recent label for me. He was probably moved with pity in what he perceived to be my lot in life. I was widowed at a very young age. My newfound career is in its infancy so I’m obviously not rolling in money (yet). Status. Career. Wealth. These were his parameters for a charmed life. In his world, the “lucky” ones were his nieces on my aunt’s side of the family. A lucky niece (very much like Cinderella) married into one of the richest families in the country, has successful businesses and is insanely wealthy. There are other nieces gainfully employed in airline or realty companies and who enjoy good salary and great benefits. He seemed perplexed that I don’t go to the office and barely comprehended that my work was online. No wonder he branded me “unlucky”.

Years ago I would probably have agreed with him and proceeded to indulge in a bout of self-pity. But even I was surprised with my quick rejoinder, “Oh no, I’m actually very lucky. I’m super blessed!” I guess my mindset changed after being in community for 8 years and actively serving in Feast Alabang for close to 2 years. The teachings I have received in all that time has changed my perception of luck. I have learned to appreciate the blessings that I enjoy: children, parents, a serene family life, loving and supportive friends in community, doing work that I love and am good at, a comfortable home, abundant provisions, good health and many more that I don’t have the time to list here. In the current Feast series, Seasons, we were taught that Spring is a time to plant and we should not envy others who may already be in other seasons in their life. My harvest is still coming. So in my world, I consider myself lucky.

Above all these is the fact that I am living a life close to God. Hey, I’m still a work in progress so I’m far from perfect but the lucky thing is that my construction is in the hands of THE Master Planner. Another thing I learned is we need to plant ourselves close to the stream or the Blesser. I actually felt sad for my uncle because in our conversation I realized that he does not actively seek God. Lucky me, I’m working for the one who blesses me and for food that endures for eternal life.

6 comments:

  1. Right on, Lella!! Yes, counting our numerous blessings not only distracts us from useless self-pity (subtle work of devil) but brings us closer to our Maker, who never tires of showering each one of us with His Mercy and Love. . . thanks for sharing! God bless. .
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we are "employed" by God, the benefits are beyond this world.
    Yes, Lella. I agree. You are super blessed. You are not a slave to titles, prestige, money,etc. What happens to a person if all these are lost?Significance is better than success.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, you're right self-pity is the devil's ploy to blind us from seeing God's many blessings.

    Noreen, yes significance is better than success. Sometimes, God allows success to be taken from us so we learn to rely on Him alone.

    God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you Ms. Lella..."YOU ARE LUCKY!"..."WE ARE LUCKY!"...walang salitang __las (unlucky) sa dictionary ni LORD...lahat tayo SUPER BLESSED na anak NYA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi May! So true. God only has positive words in His dictionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky, Lella. No, not lucky actually but Super Blessed. You are blessed with the right mindset, with the right direction. You are blessd with the love of everyone around you.

    Carry on Lella!! Not everyone is given the chance to do what you are doing.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete