Monday, May 30, 2011

Delegate Work, Cascade Love



“Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.” – John 12:44-45

A degree in management, a corporate background and masters in business develop a certain mindset for running an organization or a team. It is structured and disciplined. The head gives the directives which the subordinate is mandated to follow. There are of course different management styles – autocratic, democratic, paternalistic and a couple of other “-atics”. But the underlying idea is “You don’t like the way we run things, you may apply with the company in the next building.”

So it becomes quite a shock to the system when a corporate person gets into running the Lord’s business. You are no longer the boss, you are a servant leader. The people under you can’t be fired when they don’t do the job. They must be loved and nurtured into service.

For two years now, I’ve been serving as Ministry Head for the Feast Alabang and I’m fascinated with the art of managing fellow servants. A distant star in my canopy of dreams is to write a manual about this topic. I’m taking my first step by writing down this reflection:

In the May 18, 2011 Companion, the intro to the First Reading said: “We see in the ministry of Paul that he works closely with a very limited number of collaborators…his key collaborators or missioners are few…Perhaps simplicity is essential to the successful proclamation of the Gospel.” In management, the collaborators would be assistants or deputies. I’m reminded of my Feast Alabang Media Ministry (or what my members and I lovingly call our FAMMily) and the team heads I’ve appointed. The message for me here is to keep that simple structure and delegate to the team heads.
But since we are missioners sent by Jesus to spread His word, work is not the only thing we have to pass on. His love must also be seen in the way we deal with our fellow servants. As one of my favorite lines go, “our lives may be the only Bible other people will read.” Love then is essential in this type of management style. Bonds must also be strengthened among the members so that work in the Lord’s vineyard will be a joy to do. It’s such a simple principle but many times in the stresses of service, it has been forgotten.

Guideline #1 for my manual is Delegate Work, Cascade Love. I’m looking for more. Insights are welcome :)

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work. Being a servant, it would be wiser for all of us to teach the words that Jesus has spoken.

    ReplyDelete