Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Last Xcellent Straw




 

I started to write this blog in late April. I thought it was just the right article for talk 2, Xcel, of the Feast series X Factor (Unleash the Gift in You). But for some reason, I never got to post it.  I see now God had a better timing in mind. So here’s my long delayed but perfectly timed blog:
 
The “last straw” is usually associated with something bad or frustrating. It’s what causes someone to explode, usually with anger. It may be a small thing but the leaden weight that has built up before it, makes the experience unbearable. That triggers a major explosion.
 
Last week, I had a last straw experience of a different kind. Mine was brought on by an overflow of excellence. The resulting explosion shook me so much I just had to write this thank you letter to God:
 
April 27, 2015
 
Dear God,
 
I’m writing this letter to let you know you almost drowned me this morning – in a storm surge of gratitude.
 
These past 2 weeks, I’ve been managing the content for Light Magazine. Checking the submissions from my team was like watching you compose a symphony. The articles, the photos, the graphics and the layouts were notes you combined in harmony and built up until it reached a crescendo that moved me to tears. And I mean that literally. My contact lenses were in danger of floating out of my eyes and I was sniffling all the way to my dancercise session. 
 
Thank you for unleashing the talents of my team. I am truly blessed by them.
 
Love,
Lella
 
 
Here’s the wave upon wave of excellence that engulfed me:
     
  • First, I was given a dedicated, supportive, creative and wacky Editorial Board. Did I mention they’re all funny? Our meetings not only produced imaginative input but also side stitches from laughing at the crazy ideas we came up with. And many times, the wackiness resulted into really great article ideas. They were also multi-taskers who can be roped in to do what needed to be done especially when the deadliest deadline was just a page or two away in my weekly planner.
  • Then came the writers who looked for servants and attendees with testimonies about lives that were changed, healed and enriched , twisted their arms into agreeing to the interviews and wrote the inspiring stories.
  • Next came the editors who went through the articles with a fine tooth comb and made the stories even better.
  • Pile on top of that our dedicated photographers who chased the Pope, the Feast Builders and the subjects for good angles and who were coerced into making the staff look great. (Photoshop those love handles and make us look like celebrities!)
  • Like the flourish in a music piece or the strawberries and cream on a waffle, our graphic & layout artists beautified the magazine with the finishing touches. They must be part-magicians because they conjured whatever image I asked them to come up with.


When I first held a copy of Light Magazine’s second issue, I felt like I was handed an Oscar or an Emmy. And like the awardees who go up on stage, I have this list of people I want to thank. When you grab your copy of Light, check out the names of the Editorial Board and staff who shared their excellent gifts and unleashed a dream. And at the top and at the end of that list are our leaders – our builder and pillars – who propelled and helped us make Light Magazine’s second issue a reality.



2 comments:

  1. I have been a reader of your blog and entries on Kerygma! I write blogs and create our community magazine too... :) I can totally relate to how you feel here... God simply brings in the people who surely knows how to makes us feel blessed! Hope to get a copy of ur mag! God bless you more!

    JM | http://i-am-jmhkayne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JM,
    Thank you for taking time to read the things that I write. Glad to "meet" a fellow writer. Isn't it just great when God sends you an awesome team? Hope you get a copy of Light. It should be available during Feast sessions in Alabang :) God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete