Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Birthday Blessings




“He shall receive a blessing from the Lord, a reward from God his savior.” – Psalm 24:5

The table at the far end beckoned me to sit and peruse the letters tucked beneath its glass top. The low armchair cuddled me in its comfortable embrace. This spot seemed to have been reserved especially for me.



Café Mary Grace ATC with its rustic ambiance was the perfect place for my solo birthday lunch. I ordered Caesar Salad, Wild Raspberry iced tea and Mango Bene for dessert. The selection matched my persona – a trying hard health buff with a sweet tooth.


This was my birthday blessing from the Lord. A crack in time in the frenetic hours spent on community service. It’s Kerygma Conference time and I was in the thick of preparations for our stream aside from my usual Saturday Feast Alabang and Media Ministry duties.

I actually had to force myself to eat leisurely. No need for the customary rush. I had an hour before The Spa opened. There’s time enough to savor the food and go window shopping. 

As I licked the cream off my fork, I thanked the Lord for my solo celebration. It was not lonely as one may think. It was actually my choice and already Day 3 of my birthday bash. The past two days were spent with people I love and who cared for me. 

On Day 1, I was kidnapped by my FAMMily (Feast Alabang Media Ministy) for a surprise celebration. It was a simple pizza, Krispy Kreme chillers and cake affair highlighted by laughter and singing. It was so much fun that we only left the place because the guard was threatening to turn off the lights.



On Day 2, my family and I gorged (and I say that literally) on Japanese-Korean food in the newly opened Sambo Kojin in Southmall. We had to gingerly walk out of the restaurant afraid that any sudden move will dislodge the strategic position the sushi, the yakiniku, the tempura and their gang mates have taken in our overstuffed bellies.



So on Day 3, which was my actual birthday, I planned for a “Me day”. I heard mass with my parents (a concession because I wanted to thank the Lord for the life they gave me) and then headed for the gym to Zumba away the extra calories from the night before.



And then there I was just hanging out with myself at lunch time, looking forward to the indulgence and pampering I would soon experience – a dip in the Jacuzzi and a 90-minute massage at The Spa which was my son’s gift.  There’s also the Tous Le Jours birthday cake I had wished for and unexpectedly got. Candle blowing at dinner time. 


I’d like to think that these birthday blessings are God’s rewards for my service. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment