Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Let Me Love You Today



I have a confession and I hope none of my community elders will read this. I’m being disobedient about something we were instructed to do. But before I get booted out of the community for being pigheaded, let me explain (or justify) my insubordination.

THE MISSION

The Light of Jesus Family’s mission is to “Make Disciples”. Our leader, Bo Sanchez, wrote the book Love Someone Today, a One-to-One Discipleship for Catholics. This is the tool given to the servants of the Feast to use in our evangelization. It’s a small but powerful book that can and is already touching lives.

We were given marching orders to seek one person to love and eventually disciple. This meant approaching a Feast attendee, starting a relationship and going through 7 lessons with her (or him for the brothers).

THE PROBLEM

Easy enough? Not quite. Last night in our meeting, we were grouped and asked to discuss our experiences in doing one-to-one discipleship.

True, there were inspiring stories from some members. Without a doubt, there are disciples in the making.

But there were stories not shared in the assembly but only discussed in the groups.

A brother shared that he was totally ignored by an attendee he tried to connect with. The man pointedly kept his earphones on.

A sister sensed that the person she tried to disciple got freaked out. Initially, the woman tried to hide from her during the Feast. Eventually, she stopped attending altogether.

And my personal problem? I just haven’t had the time to scout around for a prospect much less squeeze in a face-to-face encounter over a cup of coffee or tea (for me, since I rarely like coffee). Considering the myriad of duties I have, I may never have time to sit and talk.

MY SOLUTION

During our Love Someone Today (LST) workshop, I already knew I wouldn’t be able to do this. I lightheartedly said that I will just blog about it.

But seriously thinking about our mission, I felt that we each have our own way of making disciples. Since I’m a writer, my blog is a tool I can use to accomplish the task I was given. (I sometimes kid that if I get mad I will duel with my blog as my weapon of choice. Since this time it's all for love, it will be used to reach out and hopefully touch lives.)

Considering the advancements in technology, it is no longer strange to form relationships in cyberspace. My niece, for instance, met a guy from China online. Their romance blossomed via the internet. Now she’s married to him and awaiting the birth of their first child. So who’s to say disciples can’t be made online?

FINDING FRIENDS ONLINE

As a Didache and Gabay* writer, I often get messages from people who were touched by my reflection. Some have become cyber-buddies that I exchange emails with.

So here’s what I commit to do. I will write about each chapter of the LST booklet and do online discipleship. (I’m not encouraging others to do this. This is just me because writing is my gift. I say, “Go find your own thing” :) lest I be taken to task for being a bad influence.)

It may not exactly be what we were tasked to do but I feel I have God’s blessings on this one. I got His confirmation just this morning as I was praying about my plan:

“Go and take your place in the temple area, and tell the people everything about this life.” – Acts 5:20

The passage said “take your place” and my place is to write…here in my blog. I take it that “this life” refers to the life in community, a life following Jesus.

By writing about the lessons in this book I hope to deepen friendships with 3 ladies I met online:

I got to know Jennet because she would comment on my articles in our now-defunct website, Proudly Filipina. We reconnected through Didache and became online friends. I regularly send her my blogs.

May sent an email to all Didache writers about her job problem in Australia and I responded. After an exchange of emails, she visited us in Feast Alabang when she came home. She got a wonderful miracle a few weeks after – she and her husband got jobs in the U.S. We kept in touch for a while after she left. I hope through this online LST, we can continue the friendship.

I “met” Erma also because of my Didache reflection. She is planning a trip to Manila soon and I’ve invited her to visit me at the Feast Alabang. In the meantime, I have connected her to Feast Cagayan de Oro.

But I’m not limiting the interaction to these three ladies. If you can relate, become touched or would just like to reflect on what I will write about the LST, be my cyber-friend and drop me a line.

See you all soon for my take on the Intro to Love Someone Today.

*Didache and Gabay are daily bible reflections for Catholics.

10 comments:

  1. Lella, you do more than a one-on-one discipleship with your blog! Keep it up! God bless. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the affirmation Ed. I do hope I reach more people this way.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ms. Lella, you're a great writer and very inspiring too! You're idea is great. The best place to do discipleship is to do it an area of your life where you are most comfortable.Touching lives through your blog can make more disciples than a one-on-one can. More power!


    http://femmetalktoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marian! Thank you. To hear that from a fellow blogger is heartening. By the way, I just read your latest post. Very empowering!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Osy, shh secret natin 'to ha. :)) secret daw naka-blog. But I saw you in the center may na-LST/one-to-one ka na di ba?

      Delete
  4. Hi Lella, I find the same thing to express my opinion... :D I believe I have the same talent from Him.. so I am trying my best to write my reflections too! Just feel happy that I have the same person like you! :)
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JM! Go for it. I'm sure the Lord will be very happy that you are sharing about Him. God bless you too.

      Delete
  5. Oooh.. so that's what the LST is about. Am a WFA servant but I wasn't able to attend the orientation.

    Doing a one-on-one is actually hard, I'd imagine. Also, I can get why some people can be put off by this. I think the best approach is gentle persuasion. I don't respond to hard sell myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! Don't worry, I'm sure another orientation will be given as many servants weren't able to attend also.

      You're right, gentle persuasion is a good approach. And the best kick-off point is starting a friendly relationship with them :)

      Delete