Monday, March 26, 2012

A Memory Loss


So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “What I told you from the beginning. I have much to say about you in condemnation…” – John 8:25-26

Sometimes we experience temporary memory loss at the most embarrassing times. You meet a person you know and when you attempt to introduce this person to your companion, you draw a mental blank. You absolutely cannot remember his or her name and you cannot do the unthinkable and ask, “Who are you?”

This happened to me a couple of times. The most embarrassing was when I remembered the name of the person I met on the street and forgot the name of my companion. I had to endure the embarrassment longer as we were taking the ride home together.

Physical memory loss, at most, is just embarrassing. Spiritual memory loss is tragic as you lose more than just your “face”. What causes spiritual memory loss? I’d say pride does.

Let me tell you 2 stories to illustrate my point:

My Papa had a town mate who knew him quite well. She even used to call him kuya. Papa was a friend of her sibling. She migrated to the U.S.A. and made it big there. When Papa introduced himself to her when they saw each other again in the States, she said, “Who are you? Do I know you?”

I have a friend who used to be thoughtful and nice. As he rose in stature, he seemed to have experienced a severe memory loss about how he got to where he was and the other people who made a mark before him. Now I want to throttle him until the bad spirits depart and ask him, “Who are you and what have you done to my friend?”

There are times when we act like the Pharisees, like we do not know Jesus at all. We fail to recognize His hand in the good fortune that comes our way. We forget that all the success and blessings in our lives came from Him. Let us always remember who Jesus is and live like Him so that when we meet Him at the pearly gates He will not ask, “Who are you? Do I know you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment