Monday, October 24, 2011

Real Friends, Real Heroes


What is friendship? Is it just the laughter and a lot of time spent together? Is it just shared experiences and bonding moments?

That’s just froth that merrily bubbles over the deeper waters of true friendship.

How can one tell who your real friends are? Here’s something I wrote about my favorite people in the world.

Real Friends…
…Burn the phone wires until their ears have gone flat
from your stories, your gripes and your non-stop chat.

…Look at you clearly and are honest enough
to tell you your fashion sense took the day off.

…Bop you and scold you and make sure that you don’t
give in to that dim-witted thing that you want.

…Defend you from critics when brickbats abound.
…Say good things about you when you’re not around.

…Feel no envy when it’s your moment to shine;
happy not hurt just to cheer from the sideline.

If a hero is one who dies to oneself,
then real friends are heroes – ‘tis truth in itself.

Just as St. Paul had a faithful friend in Luke, I am blessed with real friends. I thank God today for that blessing and priceless treasure.

“Luke is the only one with me.” – 2 Timothy 4:11

From Companion, October 18, 2011: “To have a faithful friend like Luke is a wonderful gift from God and an inestimable treasure.”

2 comments:

  1. thanks M for another insightful article. . looks like you're describing my wife, my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're most welcome Ed. Wow that's so sweet! I'm sure your wife will appreciate your comment:)

    ReplyDelete