Monday, April 18, 2011

Love Duplicated


The email moved me. It was an appeal to help a brother from another Feast with his expenses for a kidney transplant. He dropped by our center once as he just came from his dialysis nearby. He was a pleasant man and his condition saddened me. I wanted so much to help. I marked the email “unread” so I won’t forget and mentally set aside an amount to give.

Another message came into my inbox. This time it was a request for prayers for one of my ministry member’s father. He needed an emergency operation. Aside from offering prayers I also felt God’s prodding to help in a more practical way. All I had left in my budget for love offering was the amount I already earmarked for the first appeal. I planned to half it so I can give both but felt that was too paltry to make a difference. I decided to give it all to my member. She was closer to my heart.

While singing with the choir that Sunday, I espied the brother needing the transplant among the attendees. My heart bled. I had no more to give. I offered a silent prayer for him and lifted my wish to the Lord to grant me the ability to help. As we sang during worship, the Lord impressed on me to go ahead and give what I had planned anyway. I had the money stashed in my wallet marked with a mental note: “For extreme emergency only. Burn in hell if you use this for frivolities.” That was what I decided to donate.

Soon after, I received two dividend checks and a small windfall from my balikbayan uncle. Ten percent of these blessings was exactly the amount of my emergency stash that I donated. The Lord duplicated my love offering like the loaves and fishes. He granted my wish to be able to love more people in practical ways.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generosity is the pathway for more. Proverbs 11:24-25: There is one who scatters, yet increases more; And there is one who withholds more than is right, But it leads to poverty. 25 The generous soul will be made rich, And he who waters will also be watered himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christine! Good luck with your new job.

    Amen to that Kring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow tita..im so speechless I dont know what to say..but I'm truly grateful FOR THE LOVE AND GENEROSITY you have shown to me and my family. I knew you also had difficulty in your family at that time but you still prayed and supported me and it has touched me very deeply. I always feel God's embrace and see Jesus' face in you..You are my Miracle because you always believe in me though I feel insignificant and unworthy of the Lord's calling in my life to work in His vineyard. I am so honored serving with you and our FAMMILY :) Thank you for being a blessing and inspiration to us all :))

    2 Cor. 4:8-10 "We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair, persecuted but not forsaken, struck down but not destroyed. Always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also be manifested in our body."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing great things faro the Lord! Thank you for your generosity and act of kindness. Truly, the Lord will return it a hundred fold. Continue loving Him! And continue to be a blessingand inspiration to others. Hermie

    ReplyDelete