Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Time of Refreshing


“We have a meeting tonight.” Sigh. “There’s a new assignment for Media Ministry.” Whimper. “Sis, can you help with this project?” Groan. Much as I love serving at the Feast Alabang I still felt the early warning signs of service fatigue like a tsunami alert.

But you know that passage in the Bible that says the Lord cannot be out-given? Once again this truth manifested in a wonderful way when I went to Baguio last week.

I was hesitant to join the trip. Reason # 1: the added expense. (Remember me, the obsessive-compulsive budgeter?) Reason # 2: our numbers dwindled as Mar. 17 approached. How much fun can it be with just a handful joining Bro Arun and his family for his Lenten Recollection talks? Reason # 3: our car is in the province. A taxi would be my ride from our drop-off point. Not a nice scenario when I reviewed my shopping list.

With no graceful way to back out, I had to go. Besides, it’s been 22 (or is it 23?) years since I went up to the City of Pines. My husband was still alive, my sons were still toddlers and Hyatt Terraces was still the place to stay. And my last criteria for going on trips with zigzags, boat or plane rides was met. My motion sickness pills that I can only get from the U.S. have not expired.

Going was an inspired decision. Wave after wave of blessings engulfed our trip. I only have one word to describe it – perfect. There’s no other word fit for this gift from God.

Perfect, because our reduced number allowed us to fit into one van. Travelling together was more fun. There was also no hassle coordinating different vehicles. Most of all, it was a chance to bond with people I usually see only during service and community activities. It was a road trip punctuated with lots of laughter – funny catch phrases like “Bente pesos!” from our UKay queen and threats to provide me with a catheter the next time we travel. The last issue made hair-raising by suspected ghostly encounters in the Recoletos’ toilet.

Perfect, because of the generous hearts that treated us to dinner on both nights (Don Henrico's & Rose Bowl) and a sumptuous buffet breakfast at Baguio Country Club. We were like overstuffed sausages ready to burst but we just had to try everything. Several blueberry Danish pastries had my name on them and I couldn’t resist their sinful temptation.

Perfect, because it was not just a pleasure trip but also a chance to serve in ways we don’t normally do at the Feast Alabang. Chris and Mandy danced during Bro Arun’s talk in front of a host of strangers. Something they only do with family and friends. Lallaine, Cora, Lani, Josie and I were salesgirls at the book table. We prayed that almost all the books and CDs will be sold to have space for the jams, peanut brittle, brooms, vegetables and my favorite succulent strawberries that we can’t leave Baguio without. God answered that prayer. The book table was mobbed.

We all felt the same way – it was a blessings-filled trip. And the fun didn’t stop in Baguio. Lunch at Isdaan in Gerona, Tarlac was wacky with crazy poses and serenades by the Salbabida Boys and the Cumbancheros. The second group sent us into stitches with their version of “ABC” and “Ten Litter Indians” for Helene and Yohan.

There was more blessings overflow. My total expenses fell way below my budget. IC, Chris & Lani’s son, saved me from lugging all my extra baggage by giving me a lift home. To top it all, my team heads and members stepped in and ably steered the Media Ministry in my absence.

Perfect trip. Abundant blessings. It was a time of refreshing for a tired soul. I’m now “Happy to serve” (clap, clap) again. Not just in my beloved Feast Alabang but also in Feast Vietnam and Feast Bohol. Wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment