Monday, February 21, 2011

5:00 a.m. Blessings and an Answered Prayer



Five o'clock. My alarm blares the hour. Snooze. I snuggle under my warm comforter on this chilly morning. After 9 minutes, it clamors for attention again. Another snooze, another snuggle, another buzz. Repeat cycle.

Then I bolt up for mommy duty. Boil the rice. Swish the eggs. Drop the bacon and tomatoes in the pan. Omelet for breakfast done. I can hear my elder son coming down the stairs. Quick, fry the fish fillet. Wait, it needs oyster sauce. Dice bell pepper in a flash. Lunch for baon done just as he finished breakfast. Kiss and bless Son #1 good-bye.

Repeat fish fillet procedure for Son # 2's lunch. (I could have done this in one batch but Son # 1 will be delayed). While fish is frying, thaw hotdogs. Pop breakfast into my mouth as I grab ingredients for his sandwich. Snacks done. This should keep him till his late dinner.

I'm searching for a word a level higher than hectic to describe my mornings for the past week. I guess frenzied will have to do. But amidst all this, I was praising God for my blessings.

First, we are blessed with food to cook. Other people sleep to forget hunger.

Second, I have a sister-in-law whose daughter died in her teens. I know she would give the world to be in my apron preparing her daughter's baon. I am blessed with hungry sons to feed.

Third, all that food I prepared is for my sons who have both entered the work force. Yes, both of them because last week God completely answered Dream # 2 in my Novena to God's Love.

Dream # 2.a is for the whole family (my parents, the other son and me) to attend both of my sons' graduations. My Papa almost didn't make it last Saturday because he had a board meeting in our province. He chose to be present at my younger son's graduation. At my elder son's graduation last year, my parents had no tickets but got in anyway. We were all present on both occasions. And, of course, the big thing here is that both my sons are now college graduates.


Dream # 2.b is for my sons to find well-paying jobs after college. A few days before he marched to get his diploma, my younger son was hired to do free-lance work on a film bound for Cannes.

"Well-paying" is still on the way that's why the packed lunch and snacks and my frenzied mornings. But I'm claiming that answered prayer for my sons already.

As I send off Son #2 with a kiss and a blessing, I thank God for His graces that fired up my new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment