Monday, August 16, 2010

Of Pink Laptops and Sweet Bell Peppers





I gave myself two merit badges recently. If I could have real badges made, one would have a pink laptop. The other, a plump red bell pepper.

I’m a balanced life advocate. I set goals for my family life, my spiritual & community life, my health, my finances. I even have “pamper me” objectives just to keep me sane and happy. Once in a while, I backslide. Or my resolve gets tested.

PINK LAPTOP

First test – financial literacy.

Basyang destroyed my precious laptop. And I helped. My mechanically-challenged brain did not pause to think that turning on a wet laptop would fry the motherboard. So there I was a blogger with only a pen and a notebook. A Media Ministry head with no access to the internet. Of course I had sons with computers to harass or cajole but it was getting difficult to borrow the computer. After a few days, I was getting scowls or deep sighs.

I scouted around for a laptop. P20,000 plus for one like mine. I was especially tempted when I saw a pretty pink laptop sitting in the store waving at me, “We belong together. Buy me!” But the P23,000 would have put a nasty dent in my savings.

So I dug my heels in and decided to make do with cast-offs. By God’s grace my son’s old computer just needed a new cable. This my other son had plus an extra mouse. My cousin sold me her son’s bulky old monitor. The new things I invested in were a keyboard, a voltage surge protector and a wireless USB dongle. All in all, I spent P2,749.75 for my set. About a tenth of that pretty pink laptop.

Test passed. My badge? The pink laptop still sitting in the computer store. It will sit there until I can really afford it. Or maybe heaven will send me one.

SWEET BELL PEPPER

Second test – health.

I have a treat day every week. I indulge in chocolate (the only health food that I honestly like) and potato chips (no amount of justification will make that a health food –baked not fried vegetable?)

Lately my indulgence expanded from the usual Monday to Tuesday (“I’m stressed – I need a treat”), to Wednesday (“I worked hard – I need a treat”) till I was finding an excuse every day. After listening to “Awaken the Healer in You” series at the South Feast, I had to shake myself out of this guilty pleasure and find something good for my body.

Thank God for TV cooking shows, I stumbled upon a healthy dish which I altered a bit. It’s supposed to be a kebab but we were out of barbecue sticks.

Grilled Tuna Fillet

Tuna Fillet drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.

Big & plump red bell pepper, sliced

Broccoli stalks, peeled and cut into sticks (the broccoli head I stir fried in lots of garlic)

Dipping Sauce: unflavored yogurt & lemon.

I grilled the bell pepper and broccoli stalks with the fish for a healthy treat. Junk food bingeing junked. My badge? The red bell pepper. I was surprised I liked it. It was really sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment